Wednesday, May 14, 2014

I officially graduate from the University of Southern California with a Master's Degree in Arts and Teaching this Friday at 3:30 PM. As much as I would love to make it to the ceremony, braving the downtown traffic, parking and the tens of thousands of people that will be attending USC's campus wide, day long activities, I have too much homework, a potential paying job on the east coast that prevents me from attending. It has been a rigorous journey, and a difficult one; and I'm reminded of other journeys when searching for a comparison or metaphor. I will admit that when I announced that I was going to Grad school at my age, I bristled when not just one, but a few friends chuckled and told me I was crazy. I can't say that I wouldn't warn others past the age of 45 about the learning curves, challenges and difficult professors I have had. More on that later.. onto the metaphors. As I type this, (as an aside), my creative writing students are working out their one act plays in the library on old Dell desktop computers with keyboards akin to a sticky upright piano. I am sneaking a moment to catch up with y'all. I miss my friends! I feel like I have been in a vortex of anxiety and 10th graders!

Taking on this program was probably the hardest thing I've done in my life. Harder than gutting homes in New Orleans after Katrina. Harder than trekking the 32 miles of the Inca trail in the rain. Hard. Feeling as though I've been under the poison pen of Professor Umbridge, this last semester has given me more opportunities to spiritually grow and learn in the art of, to quote Kenny Rogers, "knowing when to hold them,and knowing when to fold them".

One of my 7th grade students, Cary, asked me last term what it was like to be a student AND a student teacher. I had to think about that. "Well, Cary", I began, "I've been writing a lot about what types of learners students are. I never thought about that when I was your age. And you know what? I've come to the conclusion that I'm no different than you. I don't want to do my homework. I have anxieties that I'm going to fail. I'm excited when I'm in the classroom. I dig my heels in." Cary looked back at me and said "I know what you mean." 
What is different about being 47 is that I call my mother all the time. Like daily. Last week,she had to administer some tough love. "You're in graduate school. This is what is expected of you! Get over it and do the work!"  Let me just say that summer cannot come fast enough. I am OVER homework!! Grading papers - love that. Writing them. Blech.

Before I get caught for not "monitoring student progress", I want to tell all of my readers how much I love you. Thank you for your support and kindness and for sticking with me.

P.S. Two more things:  I am happily mired in Macbeth with my 10th Grade English students.That has been really fun. I told them that I had to read the Scottish play in 10th grade as well, and all I remember of the experience was that we sat in a circle and read it aloud. I might have written a paper. After it was over, I told one of my favorite high school teachers, Mr. Puchalsky, that I would probably never read Shakespeare again. I didn't have time for these old playwrights when there were so many good 20th century writers to sink my teeth into. Oh, the words of a precocious fifteen year old!!  Now that we are at the crux of Act III, the students are sinking their teeth into it. It also gives me a chance to teach adaptation, and making critical decisions with presentation of text. But you don't want to read about all of this academic learning theory and strategy I have to employ, then write about and properly cite.

The second thing I wanted to tell you was that I passed my PACT with flying colors. This is essentially a 35 page paper and about ten minutes of key video teaching moments in which I defend my ability as a teacher. It is an essential component of obtaining my credential and license to teach. It took me all of my spring break to complete. And Sally (my mother) can tell you that it was not without tears. As soon as May 31st gets here, I will be able to start looking for work.

In the meantime, from the trenches of the Dennis-Yarmouth High School Library -I send you love and joy and dreams and counter to the words of Macbeth, stars to light your fires....
Two of my colleagues emailed me this from graduation! 

Both Brooke and Chelsea have been a HUGE part of getting me through this last term. Way to go gals!

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

you go girl!!
I am so proud of you!
as usual you brought me to tears.
Tears of joy.
Joy for what that four year old girl, who looked in my eyes, (all those years ago) and said
" I'm glad you are my new neighbor, we're going to have fun"
has accomplished as a woman.
I love you,
Triscia

Unknown said...

You are the best, Kat!

MOM

David LeBanon. said...

YEA!!!! so proud that you "screwed your courage" and did it!!!! if you get to LA I need to hug you immediately! miss you tons love you more than the bard could express, David

Elizabeth T said...

a million billion congrats Kat! This has been a longtime dream and here it is- you deserve a standing O! Love you!

Debi said...

Wow Kat, congratulations! No one would ever accuse you of shying away from a challenge. Enjoy this accomplishment. And remember, it only takes ONE teacher in a student's life to effect and change their course to the positive. I can only imagine how you imbue your students with your passion of life and literature.

Great to hear such wonderful news. Well done! xodebi

Judith said...

Oh, Kat, how great, how great. Congratulations, heartiest possible Congratulations. I knew from your mother that you were in grad school but not where. I hope so much that you find a job on the East Coast or, selfishly, that you at least visit somewhere nearby where we can meet up. Meanwhile, lovely brave woman that you are (how proud Judy would have been of you), happy hunting. Anyone would be lucky to have you as a teacher. xoxoJudith

Caroline Reynolds said...

Kat, your accomplishment is a true inspiration to read. I have been perusing college department websites and interviewing everyone I can think of, seeking out my ideal graduate program. Excitement gives way to panic as I catch myself wondering if I'm making the right decision to go down this road at this point in my life. Then I think about what you've accomplished here and I realize it will be tough, but it's doable!!
You are AWESOME! I can't wait to hear more about what's next in store for you.
XO
Caroline

Bea said...

Wow! -huge congrats to you from Switzerland. The kids should consider themselves lucky to have you in class.

Rachel Gray said...

...Cool Kat! So proud of you and the way you live your life, as if its the only one you have

Francene said...

So when do you start the Ph.D. program? I like the idea of Dr. Kat, has a nice ring to it!

Congrats, and you are never to old to learn - that's life baby, class is in, so pay attention. Good for you!

xoxox

Mary Ellen Redmond said...

Kat,
I am so thrilled for you and proud of you! It's been challenging to balance it all! But you did it beautifully and gracefully! You are a fantastic teacher and my two wishes are that 1. you find a job and 2. it's teaching ELA across the hall from me.(selfish, I know)
Now let's plan a celebration!!
xo

Anonymous said...

Love you lady! USC huh? Well good for you and great for those students who will be in great hands learning! Miss you dearly.
Mare

J. Orbom said...

Fantastic, congratulations!
Following your gut when making life choices can elicit weird reactions from people, since we're used to hearing there's only one or two paths women can take to be happy.
Going to grad school and leaving the country at 28, I got some weird reactions too, but you do what you want! It can only lead to good things.
I"m happy to get these updates, they're inspiring!

Anonymous said...

Oh, Kat, I am so very proud of you and to have another teacher in the family. Your grandmother would be so very happy to know that you have done this, and at the ripe old age of 47!!
I think I was one of those naysayers. Now you know how much I know.
I am so glad there was not a PACT when I graduated from teaching, back in the dark age of 1969. I would have flunked, that is for sure.
Much love and luck to you,
Auntie Mar

robq said...

my email is rob@LFESolutions.com

Sorry i dropped out of site, my comcast account closed when i sold the house. keep in touch and thanks for the gift!

Shameless Crushes...

find life experiences and swallow them whole.
travel.
meet many people.
go down some dead ends and explore dark alleys.
try everything.
exhaust yourself in the glorious pursuit of life.
-lawrence k. fish

Yoga For Peace

read much and often

Cleopatra: A Life
Travels with Charley: In Search of America
Never Let Me Go
The Angel's game
The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe
Bel-Ami
Dreaming in French: A Novel
The Post-Birthday World
A Passage to India
The Time Traveler's wife
To Kill a Mockingbird
The Catcher in the Rye
One Hundred Years of Solitude
The Kite Runner
Eat, Pray, Love
Slaughterhouse-Five
Les Misérables
The Lovely Bones
1984
Memoirs of a Geisha


read much and often»